Software Product Changes by Version
Keowee Product Suite:
Due to significantly common code bases and user interfaces, all AS/400 products and most Windows products have been integrated into one convenient download package. The following products are included along with complete documenataion:
- FORMagic/400 Forms Overlay Manager
- FORMagic/400 PDF File Creator and Forms Manager
- FORMagic/Windows Forms Overlay Manager
- FORMagic/Windows Host Developer Kit
- FlashMagic Non-Volatile Memory Manager
- FontMagic/400 Font Manager
- ProSign/400 SignOn Display Manager
- ShopCom/400 ASCII Communications Manager
The integrated suite supports all 32-bit versions of Windows and makes initial installation and subsequent upgrades easy for any combination of products:
- All PC products are fully enabled for evaluation after one initial installation; no keys are required. At purchase, products that are not purchased will be disabled or remain in evaluation mode.
- If previously installed, one upgrade covers all products in the suite.
- When AS/400 products are used, one host upload handles all products. Any combination of products can then be quickly and easily installed or upgraded from a new host menu.
- An integrated FTP upload facility provides a new option for quick, fully automated uploads for installations, upgrades, forms, and fonts. Previous upload methods remain available.
- Full support for OS/400 v6 is provided for all AS/400 host-based products.
FORMagic/400 Forms Overlay Manager:
FORMagic/400 PDF File Creator and Forms Manager:
Version 4.1 is fully compatible with OS/400 v6. It is also supported on all prior verisons back through V3R7, though a few functions require V4R2 or higher.
- The client system is now integrated into the Keowee Product Suite to promote ease of installation, upgrade, and usage for all AS/400 products.
- Administration of PDF forms is now integrated into the client system; management facilities are identical to those provided for PCL forms.
- An integrated FTP client makes installation, upgrades, and forms uploads faster and easier. This facility is compatible with V2 and V3 host systems. These hosts do not require upgrade to use this feature.
- Forms generated with the v4 client are compatible with most v2 and all v3 and v4 host systems. These host versions do not have to be upgraded simultaneously with the client.
- V1 and older versions of V2 host systems are not compatible with forms created by the V4 client; these host versions will require prompt upgrading if new or existing forms are created or changed.
- Forms created with v3 clients can be migrated to the v4 client or remain separately managed.
- Evaluation mode expiration reminder message FMA1030 can now be suppressed.
- Customers participating in our Annual Support program receive a major new benefit. If you purchase either product, but not both, the other product will be activated with a one form usage limit. This form can be used for evaluation or for production usage.
- The internal form download/remove API FMPSDNLD was removed in v3.1 and is no longer supported. However, it has been upgraded for compatibility with OS/400 v6. You may be able to continue usage with existing applications.
There is no change for traditional FORMagic/400 functionality. However, the host and client systems have been enhanced to provide support for the new FORMagic/400 PDF File Creator and Forms Manager.
The AS/400 host component provides major new functions:
- AutoMerge facility allows most form merge applications to be implemented without any changes in HLL programs. (optional feature, fully enabled during evaluations)
- Multiple Library support allows FORMagic/400 files and programs to be located in any library. This function can simplify forms administration for central locations maintaining and distributing forms to multiple systems. (Requires activation for unlimited forms.)
A completely new client system, optimized for use with all 32-bit versions of Windows (95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP), provides major new functions and ease of use:
- Full support for Windows 2000/XP which sometimes caused problems with the previous client. This problem will probably grow larger as Microsoft evolves Windows. (Don't you wish Microsoft would observe the backward compatibilty principles IBM established 35 years ago, and we all take for granted today with our mid-range systems!)
- Co-existence with V1 and V2 DOS and Windows clients facilitates upgrades.
- Improved user interface with fewer, better organized screens, provides faster and more convenient operation.
- An alternate forms overlay generator is now provided. Intended for use in the rare cases when the existing forms overlay generator does not properly convert a PRN file into an overlay, it may eliminate conversion issues without minor changes in the original form design.
- Integrated developer support for electronic forms applications on other platforms including IBM Mainframes, Windows, Unix, Linux, AIX, Sun, HP, DEC, and virtually all ASCII-based systems. (optional feature)
- Integrated support for storing forms in non-volatile memory, such as flash simms and dimms, hard drives, and ram drives. (optional feature)
Several rarely used features have been removed from FORMagic/400 and are no longer supported when used in older versions:
- The ability to generate a form as a relocatable image.
- The internal download/remove API FMPSDNLD. It will not be deleted from existing installations during upgrades and may continue to be used, but it is no longer supported.
- The DOS-based PC client system.
FontMagic/400 Font Manager:
Version 4.1 is fully compatible with OS/400 v6. It is also supported on all prior verisons back through V3R7.
- The client system is now integrated into the Keowee Product Suite to promote ease of installation, upgrade, and usage for all of our AS/400 products.
- An integrated FTP client makes installation, upgrades, and font uploads faster and easier. This facility is compatible with V2 and V3 host systems. The host does not require upgrade to use this feature.
- Evaluation mode expiration reminder message FFA1030 can now be suppressed.
- The API and Special Fonts Demo has been enhanced to show returned command string lengths for all transactions (SF, GS, and CT) supported by the FFPFSGEN Font String Generator API.
- The v4 client is compatible with all prior host versions; there is no requirement to upgrade the host immediately when the client is upgraded.
- The internal font download/remove API FFPSDNLD was removed in v3.1 and is no longer supported. However, it has been upgraded for compatibility with OS/400 v6. You may be able to continue usage with existing applications.
Two seldom encountered bugs were corrected:
- The fixed MICR font (Font Code MICF) did not work properly under all conditions with the CT function.
- An installation error sometimes occurred when upgrading the host component.
A completely new client system, optimized for use with all 32-bit versions of Windows (95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP), provides:
- Full support for Windows 2000/XP which sometimes caused problems with the previous client. This problem will probably grow larger as Microsoft evolves Windows.
- Co-existence with the prior V1 and V2 DOS client facilitates upgrades.
- Improved user interface with fewer, better organized screens provides faster and more convenient operation.
The AS/400 Host component also includes significant new function and features:
- New command: FFGMULFNT allows multiple fonts to be downloaded and/or removed in one spoolfile.
- Compatibility tests: tests and testing procedures have been improved and expanded.
- Font API: FFPFSGEN has been enhanced with the addition of function CT which performs both SF and GS functions with one call.
- Support for the Planet postal font.
- Font API and Sample Fonts Demo: the F6 Key has been added to provide quick access to Work with Fonts to facilitate downloading and removing the fonts being tested.
- Sample programs have been enhanced and additional examples added.
Several rarely used features have been removed from FontMagic/400 and are no longer supported when used in older versions:
- The internal download/remove API FFPSDNLD. It will not be deleted from existing installations during upgrades and may continue to be used, but it is no longer supported.
- The DOS-based PC client system.