FontMagic/400 Font Manager
Scalable TrueType Fonts and
Barcodes for the AS/400!
We have the AS/400's best pricing, by far, for electronic forms and font tools.
Few companies need the products costing $10,000 - 20,000!
Now, you can incorporate special-purpose, scalable TrueType fonts into any AS/400 application using HP or compatible laser printers. Our library of fonts includes MICR, OCR, PostNet, Planet, and all the popular 1d barcodes. We can also convert any TrueType font (and sometimes others) that you supply so it can be used with your applications!
FontMagic/400 provides a powerful toolkit for developing applications requiring special fonts. Its many features include:
- Common Uses: Ideal for checks, labels, postal mailings, image archive indexing, and any application where including a barcode will allow scanning and eliminate subsequent re-keying.
- Easy Installation and Upgrades: All of our AS/400 products are available in a single download, known as the Keowee Product Suite. No sign up is required for download! The highly compressed package contains all PC clients, all AS/400 components, and all documentation for speedy installation or upgrade of any combination of products. An integrated FTP client fully automates the AS/400 process; but, if your FTP server is not active, other means are also supported.
- Trial evaluations: The download provides a fully-functional, 30-60 day trial evaluation. No sign up is required, but full support is provided if you need help.
- Quick Implementation: Only a small program change is needed to add special fonts to any application. Our comprehensive font API makes it easy, and multiple sample programs fully illustrate its use.
- Callable API: Our comprehensive facility makes program changes easy with its automatic handling of all font requirements and options, printer code generations, and EBCDIC/ASCII translations. Just set values for the font needed, size, location, any options (barcode subset, start and stop codes, check digits, etc), and the input to be encoded; call the API; inspect the return code; and place the returned command string anywhere on the page.
- See it Work, Quickly: Our interactive API and Font Demo (it calls the same API you will use) illustrates what the API can do, and allows you to easily test any font in any size. Specify the font, the size, the location, and (optionally) almost any font option. See printed results instantly, with no programming.
- Standalone, or with Forms: Use the Font Manager by itself or in conjunction with our FORMagic/400 Forms Overlay Manager.
- Handles Complex Needs: The API supports even the most complex applications requiring multiple fonts and/or multiple occurrences of fonts on any given page. You have complete flexibility!
- PCL Commands: The Font Manager is fully compatible with direct insertion of PCL commands in your applications. You can use any of the numerous advanced features provided by HP-compatible laser printers that are not normally available to AS/400 applications, even those built around IBM's most expensive AFP/IPDS printers! Our Annual Support Service can even help you identify the proper PCL command to meet many special needs.
- Highly Efficient: No special post-processing steps are needed. Just make a simple change in your application; there is almost no impact on AS/400 processing resources.
- Compatibility Testing: Quickly determine whether your specific environment and printers satisfy the common requirements almost all sites can meet.
- Security: Fully compatible with OS/400 security mechanisms. For example, securing the MICR check font prevents unauthorized generation of checks.
- Redundancy: Our software solution supports all of your compatible printers. You don't have to purchase multiple special printers just to insure you can always print payroll checks and other mission-crtical documents!
- Support for Other Platforms: Ask about our special support for MICR, OCR, Code 39, Postnet, and Planet fonts on S/3x, mainframe, and almost all other platforms.
- Requirements: OS/400 V3R7 and above, including Power Systems; SCS printer device descriptions; and fully hardware-compatible PCL laser printers supporting TrueType scalable fonts (we also supply the MICR font in a fixed-pitch size for use with older printers). Call for V2R3, AS/436, or System/36 support. See the User's Guide for more detailed information.
- AFP/IPDS is not Required! Printers must be defined to the AS/400 as SCS devices; we do not support IPDS/AFP device descriptions. The many features and great flexibility of the Font Manager make this restriction necessary. SCS printers are less expensive and the ones most commonly used; most of our customers consider this "restriction" to be a significant advantage!
- Text Fonts: Our fonts are not intended for general replacement of the Courier text font used by most applications. Virtually all text fonts available today are proportionally spaced, and they are not easily used with traditional columnar applications. However, our Annual Support Service can often help you access the standard text fonts available in all PCL printers. Then, you can implement special sizes and other effects in specific fields where columnar lineup is not a factor.
- Coming soon: All FontMagic/400 fonts will be usable in PDF files created with FORMagic/400 PDF!
All barcode, MICR, Postnet, Planet, and OCR fonts are available and included within the evaluation system. You can select which fonts you want to install into the AS/400 for use with your applications. The following fonts are supported in the current API:
- Code 39: High, medium, and low density; with and without human readable character interpretation. Standard, extended, and HIBC encodations and all features of Code 39 bar codes are supported.
- Code 128: High, medium, and low density; with and without human readable character interpretation. A, B, and C subsets and all features of the Code 128 bar code are fully supported. The UCC-128 and EAN-128 variants are also supported.
- Code 93: High, medium, and low density; with and without human readable character interpretation. Standard and extended encodations and all features of the Code 93 bar code are supported.
- Interleaved 2 of 5: High, medium, and low density; with and without human readable character interpretation. All features of the Interleaved 2 of 5 bar code are supported.
- MSI Plessey: High, medium, and low density; with and without human readable character interpretation. All features of the MSI Plessey bar code are supported.
- Codabar: High, medium, and low density; with and without human readable character interpretation. All features of the Codabar bar code are supported.
- OCR: Available in only one density; it is inherently human readable. Both OCR-A and OCR-B fonts are supported.
- MICR: Available in only one density; it is partially human readable. This font is available in both scalable and fixed formats to fully support all check applications.
- Postnet: Available in only one density; it is inherently non-human readable. This font is supported for Postal applications.
- Planet: Available in only one density; it is inherently non-human readable. This font is supported for Postal applications.
- UPC: Available in only one density; it is inherently human readable. UPC-A is fully supported except for the supplemental characters. Support for the supplementals and UPC-E, EAN/JAN-8, and EAN/JAN-13 encodations can be added; let us know if you need these features.
For more information, contact:
Keowee Systems, Inc.
418 East Waterside Drive
Seneca, SC 29672
Tel: (864) 885-0094
Fax: (864) 885-0880 (call first)