FORMagic/400 and FontMagic/400 Compatible Printers and Drivers
HP printers are developed and sold for the Windows, not AS/400, market. More and more often, HP printers are being sold where the functionality is dependent on the Windows printer driver. More and more often, HP is not providing adequate documentation to allow pre-determination as to whether a printer is compatible with the AS/400 and/or our software.
Extreme caution is advised. Whenever possible, purchase printers on a trial evaluation basis.
FORMagic/400 and FontMagic/400 allow you to use any HP-compatible laser printer that provides full PCL5 (5e b/w, 5c color) support in firmware. Many inexpensive laser printers implement much of their functionality in the Windows printer driver which, of course, is not used by the AS/400. These printers may fail with some or even all FORMagic/400 and FontMagic/400 applications! They may, however, work with your other AS/400 applications. These non-fully-qualifying printers include the HP 4L, 5L, 1000, 1100, P2015, those denoted as "host-based, and others. Note: The P2015 may work if you purchase a special font DIMM from HP.
Most inkjet and multi-function printers will not work because they implement only PCL 3, not the higher level functionality of PCL 5e/5c needed for electronic forms applications.
Many "office copier" printers, such as those made by Canon, Ricoh, Kyocera, etc. are not fully compatible with HP PCL 5e/5c functionality. In many cases, the manufacturers have resolved the issues users have found. However, caution and testing are advised when using such printers.
The following printers are compatible with our products:
- HP LaserJet models: 4, 4SI, 5, 5P, 5SI, 6, 6P, 1200, 1300, P3005, P4014; families: 2000, 4000, 5000, 8000; families M401, M501, M601, M402 (Client Access requires Universal Driver). All Mxxx models may require firmware update to achieve compatibility with FontMagic/400.
- IBM: most Network and Infoprint models.
- Lexmark: all Optra S models.
- Lanier: SP-C381DN black/white/color printer and MP7502 printer/copier/scanner. Hard drive storage of FORMagic/400 forms is also supported.
- Others, reported by users: HP 4515X.
- Others which are fully compatible with one of the above. This includes numerous additional models, but they change so frequently we can only list the most popular units and provide these general guidelines.
Keowee Systems does not, and cannot possibly, test all of the hundreds of printers available today. Extreme caution is advised. Whenever possible, purchase printers on a trial evaluation basis. Manufacturers appear to be increasing production of printers that do not meet the requirement of being fully PCL 5e/5c compatible in firmware. Based on reports from users, the following printers are not, or are sometimes not, fully compatible with FontMagic/400. They may be fully compatible with FORMagic/400. Many firmware updates have been made available by manufacturers; some of these updates may eliminate compatibility issues.
Test these models especially carefully before purchasing:
- HP LaserJet: P2035N.
- HP LaserJet: All Mxxx model families (such as M401, M501, M604). They may require firmware updates.
It is essential that a PCL 5e/5c driver be used to make forms. Never use PCL6. HP is apparently eliminating PCL5 driver support for Windows 10. For Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10, if you cannot find a PCL5 driver for your printer, use the HP PCL 5e/5c Universal Print Driver (UPD) for your printer. It can be found as follows at HP.COM: Select Support, Software and Drivers, Printer, put in your model (be careful; model input can be tricky - example input: LaserJet P3005DN). Use the latest UPD PCL 5e/5c, 32/64 bit version as needed (example: 18.104.22.16862). Save it for future use! This version does not specifically indicate Windows 10 compatibility, but it is compatible with Win10 as of January 2019. See the Installation instructions, but the process should proceed as generally expected for any externally installed driver.